Sunday, June 10, 2007

In The News

The weekly “Starke County Leader” is the only real newspaper in Starke County, Indiana. Knox, Indiana happens to be the county seat. So that makes “The Leader” Knox, Indiana’s only real newspaper. Editor, John Read made mention of a Knox blog in his opinion piece titled, “Let’s try a ‘blog’ concept” on June 7, 2006. There have been several Knox blogs rise and fall, but my blog seems to be the only active Knox blog. So I’m going to say that the Blog referred to by editor Read is in fact this little blog.

The opinion piece “Let’s try a ‘blog’ concept” hurt my delicate feelings because John said that comments are in “really random order”. Jeeze! Are my blogs in really random order? Sorry. I’ll try harder. I mean I’ll try harder NOT to be in really random order.

Since it has been awhile since I have looked at a “Leader” it occurred to me that I should give it a review. Since isn’t fair to compare a local weekly to a big city daily, I will compare “The Leader” to “The Newshawk”. “The Newshawk” is an upstart tabloid based in Knox, just a few years old. It costs 2 bits, exactly half as much as “The Leader”. So, for cost, I give the Leader 1 STAR, the Newshawk 2 STARS.

When the “Newshawk” started I had high hopes of better journalism. At that time “The Leader” had been in decline and had been bought out by another newspaper. Local news content had withered. It seemed as if there was little concern with being a Starke County newspaper. It is my pleasure to report that “The Leader” seems to be more of a local newspaper again. Editorial content and local coverage have increased. Odd bits that seemed to have nothing to do with Starke County have gone away. BRAVO! But sadly, “The Newshawk” is a failure. The content has withered. Production quality is poor. So, for quality, I give the Leader 2 STARS, the Newshawk ½ STAR.

Now I’m going to get VISCIOUS! On the Leader’s Opinion Page is a feature called “Did You Know?” Here are 2 items mentioned:

Item 1: “A rat can last longer without water than a camel.” NONSENSE! Maybe some hopping kangaroo rat in the desert, but not a Burmese Water Rat!

Item 2: “There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with orange, purple, and silver.” NONSENSE! Syringe, Nipple, Vancouver. You didn’t say it had to be good rhymes! Here is a perfectly horrid poem to prove my point:

Wrapped my arm in orange,
Stuck my arm with syringe,
Blood the color of purple,
Drips upon my nipple,
Is it a cloud lined with Silver?
No, Just another day in Vancouver.


HA!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Papers are suppose to report the news and hopefully the truth. How about you telling the truth. Most of know that you are not a woman and that most of what you have on the right hand column is not a real profile. Let's start there. The truth is out there.

knox indiana said...

When have I not told the truth?
Please provide an example.

And would you please proofread your stuff before you hit the send button. Your errors make you seem ignorant.

Anonymous said...

Yes, "Did you Know" is a bunch of nonsence, but it makes for good filler. Also, cute poem. Is it an original creation?

knox indiana said...

I admit! It ain’t Yeats.
But for yuks,
although it grates,
dull rhyming point, it negates.

I can churn out doggerel all day long. What talent! Too bad I can't rise to Nash's level:

The Camel has a single hump,
The dromedary two,
Or else the other way around,
I'm never sure - are you?

Yah, that reminds me. Was it a 1 humper or 2 humper that was thirstier than the rat?

Anonymous said...

It is sometimes said that the words orange, purple, and silver are the only words which rhyme with no other words. However, the following words have been cited as possible rhymes: sporange (an alternate form of the word 'sporangium'), 'curple (another name for the buttocks; in Scottish, the word for the hindquarters of a horse), hurple (meaning to walk lamely or to hobble), chilver (the Oxford English Dictionary lists chilver as an Old English noun meaning a ewe lamb, often referred to as a 'chilver lamb', and cites uses as recent as 1883). But there is much debate about some of these words. Some question whether archaic words, or Scottish and dialectal words such as hirple should be counted. More significantly, it is questionable whether the pronunciation of sporange truly rhymes with orange, since the only pronunciation listed in the Oxford English Dictionary is “spuh-RANDJ” (with the accent on the second syllable).

-TP

knox indiana said...

Oh, I LOVE the OED.
Is the closest real rhyme to orange "Door Hinge"?