Monday, September 04, 2006

Memorial Boulders


RE: Knox, Indiana, Knox Volunteer Fire Department, Starke County Sheriff

We have memorials in Knox, just as does every other American city, town and village. There are always questions of taste and appropriateness. Governmental units that decide on memorials need to show restraint. Otherwise, memorials, lasting for eons, will end up being embarrassments. The 1st picture (above) shows an ordinary and appropriate memorial on the courthouse lawn.

In this picture the little boulder marks the location of the first Starke County courthouse. I was rather fond of this rock back in the days when it was overgrown and neglected. It was a good local trivia question: Do you know where the original Starke County Courthouse was located? Ha! And there's even a rock with a brass plaque. It was recently moved (?) and put on the concrete foundation. This ruined the appearance of the new stone retaining wall. Really. It used to be moderately charming.


Some memorials are instant embarrassments. These two boulders flank the flagpole at the County Jail / Prosecutor's Office / Sheriff's Department. The boulder on the right has a low relief portrait of a dead sheriff. He died of heart trouble, exacerbated by a very big drinking habit and a felonious family. The unadorned boulder presumably waits for another officer of the law of equal merit.


At the south-side firehouse 2 large memorializing boulders flank a statue of a fireman clutching a rescued infant. None of those mentioned on the memorials died in the line of duty. Although this is the most tasteless monument there is more to the story. A short time ago a plywood cutout on the roof augmented this display. It was a modified depiction of the Flag Raising at Iwo Jima. In this representation, firefighters had replaced the Marines. It is my understanding that this stuff was all donated to the fire department. I guess it all can be better understood as the fire department not wanting to seem mean spirited by refusing a gift. After a while, when the plywood Iwo Jima got a bit weathered, it was discreetly removed.

This brings me back to the point of this little essay. Those in charge must show restraint. At times they might appear mean spirited. They may have to say "No" to friends and politically powerful figures. This is particularly difficult in a small town where no one wants to make waves.

Bad memorializing is closely related to the problem of small town nepotism. At the Knox library a flag pole displays a brass plaque dedicated to the memory of the donor's wife. The donor was the President of the Library Board at that time. Of course the general public was not let in on this deal to buy flag poles and erect little brass monuments.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As for the comment about the memorial at the south fire house. The memorial was for 9/11 not Iwoa Jima. I think that is a very good reason for a memorial. They were not trying to be little the Marines. There are millitary personel on the fire department and we are greatfull for both. And for the rocks infront of the firehouse, why would you not want to honor those men who donated their time and effort to help and save citizens of the community. Maybe they did not die in the line of duty but they did serve thier community. Would you be able to say that you did as much for your community as they did? Or should you only be remmebered if you die in the line of duty?

knox indiana said...

Well please let me be more clear. I didn’t think that the memorial was belittling the Marines. The plywood cutout was clearly comparing to valor of the NYPD to the valor of the Marines. That comparison is certainly worth our consideration. The NYPD were valorous. I feel profound respect, admiration, and sadness for their great sacrifice.

The Fire Department volunteers have done a great service to our community. I thank them for that continuing service. I may or may not have served my community to the same degree as the volunteer fire fighters. That certainly isn’t the issue.

The problem is appropriateness and taste. I think that if I was or am a volunteer fireman I would be embarrassed by the comparison of my position as a volunteer fire fighter to those 9/11 heroes. I would not wish to reduce their sacrifice by inviting any comparison to myself. I would hope that the plywood cutout would quietly go away.

The big rocks display is unfortunate and inappropriate. There are several words that may help explain my thoughts: In appearance the monument is silly, awkward, graceless, unapt, incongruous, and overdone.

An appropriate remembrance would be a plaque or framed print inside the building. Awards for valor and distinguished service would have a special place on that wall.

Anonymous said...

Well I guess we would all be better off if you made the decesions on what type of monument we should put up and for whom. Since you think that only certain people should have public displays of gratitude.

knox indiana said...

Well I can't say that we would all be better off if I "made the decesions (sic) on what type of monument we should put up and for whom". I would refuse the responsibility for the decisions (note) about monuments in public places because that job is a democratic decision. The community collectively through its representatives decides. I have a right to weigh in on the decisions on the use of public ground. Most everybody in America highly values that right to comment on public decisions. Go forbid that Americans are too meek to question their governance.

And I certainly do “think that only certain people should have public displays of gratitude.” Clearly we don’t want a monument to David Watt: Most Annoying Knox Citizen on the courthouse lawn. I do think there should be appropriate remembrances for valor and distinguished service. These recognitions of special service are very commonly found on walls or display cases in prominent places in fire stations. The rest of America seems content with this sort of display. The word to think about is “appropriate”.

Anonymous said...

As a life long resident of Starke Co., I find your blog regarding inappropriate monuments in Knox very insulting. I am in no way affiliated with the sheriff/fire dept., but as a mother, when I pass the monument in front of the fire dept. with the fireman with the child in his arms, it tugs at my heart. These VOLUNTEER firefighters put their lives on the line daily to ensure our safety. They protect me and my children. They are our everyday heros. They are heros just as the men and women who died on 9/11 saving others. Certainly, their call to duty on a daily basis may not be as large scale, but noth-the-less, they are the ones who would be first in line if the need be. Secondly, I never knew Sheriff Schacht, nor his family, however, while we are on the subject of inappropriate, did you ever consider how hurtful those words you spoke of him dying "due to a very bad drinking habit & having a felonious family" may have affected his friends and family members??? True or not, I have no idea, but it seems to me that lumping his whole family together as felonious seems more than a bit like labeling. I you have upset one person in his family, that is unacceptable. Maybe if you have all of this free time to spin your views on pitiful 'ol Knox, you should use your time more productivley and VOLUNTEER your time and set a good example for others!

knox indiana said...

It is a matter of taste and appropriateness. I don’t like it because I think it is in poor taste and inappropriate. You do like it. Fine. You and I have a perfect right, perhaps even an obligation, to express our opinions concerning displays on public property. A good, healthy, democratic society needs comment on public matters. In a small town there is a tendency to go along and get along. That isn’t always healthy for the community.

Even if the display was well done that doesn’t mean I would agree with it. I think the display is also excessive, not in correct proportion or place in relation to the subject matter.

I do not question the loyalty, bravery, or fine service being done by the firefighters. But they are NOT as you said, “heros (sic) just as the men and women who died on 9/11 saving others.” That statement is grossly excessive and not appropriate. Statements like that reduce true heroes to the commonplace. Our firefighters, no matter how much they deserve our appreciation are, in fact, commonplace men.

As to my comments on the Sheriff: I think I have a perfect right and perhaps an obligation as a matter of good citizenship, to point out that this man is an absurd example to memorialize. It is a public matter, not a private matter, I am discussing. If I were to have written those comments about him outside the context of the subject of his memorial or some other public matter, that would be wrong.

And I don’t think you have any idea whatsoever if I have done any volunteer work in our community. But I consider this very blog to be a public service.

Anonymous said...

So what you're saying is had the towers not fallen, those firefighters (commonplace men/women) who died would not be considered hero's??? Even though they may have saved thousands?? Must one die to be a hero in your book?

You may consider this blog you're obligation to your community, however I feel your time and efforts could be much more utilized elsewhere, let's say monitoring Dave Watt.