Sunday, September 03, 2006

Knox Blues, Part 1: Nepotism 101

Knox Blues, Part 1: Nepotism 101
RE: Knox, Indiana, Starke Memorial Hospital, Starke County Prosecuting Attorney
A drunk and stoned babysitter drags children on a sled down an icy road tied to the bumper of her car. This is criminal. When a child gets killed, it is horrifying. The police take the babysitter to the hospital for a blood test and the test shows no sign of drugs or alcohol. Suspicion of tampering with the blood sample falls on a hospital employee and a warrant is issued.

I have been told by a very good source involved officially in this case that the father of the accused was called by the authorities and given a “heads up” about the arrest of his daughter. Of course the accused then cannot then be located in a timely manner. Presumably she has now been given time to work on her alibi. Certainly the police’s investigation has been hampered.

I certainly don’t know if the accused is guilty. It doesn’t matter. The issue is that her father is on the board of directors of the hospital. He was guilty of nepotism the moment his daughter was hired. Those involved in this nepotism always defend the practice with a comment to this effect, “Why should our small community, already suffering from a shortage of qualified employees, be deprived of the services of my child? My child, is the most qualified, and she is being punished simply for being my daughter.” So the influential official appeals that our poor little town would suffer if we didn’t hire his offspring.
news story link: http://wndu.com/news/042005/news_41432.php

This argument for nepotism is generally agreed upon by all our public board members and politicians. If we are to take this argument at face value, then there is a logical step that should follow when the child is exposed as a being incompetent or criminal. By allowing his child to be hired, the official implied a guarantee that his child was the most qualified available employee. Logically the official now needs to resign with an apology. That would be honorable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice comments but you should know what your talking about before you put it in print. But since you don't have enough back bone to put your name with it I guess you can write what ever you want.. you must be a democrat

knox indiana said...

Of course you also are welcome to put your name on your comments, but you don't. And I certainly understand why. If I published my name I could expect speeding tickets, hate mail, 3 AM phone calls and maybe worse. And the problem in our little town is that the press is pathetic so we never get a story that might rub anyone in power the wrong way. The press is as fearful as you and I, but since everbody knows their names, they simply print nothing at all.

Of course I make mistakes. I promise not to do so knowingly. I can't interview people and expect to stay anonymous so my news and fact gathering powers are very limited. You have an opportunity to add to my blog and point out my mistakes. I certainly hope that you do. I will not block your comments.

Anonymous said...

Nepotism has always been a big problem in the city of Knox. In years past it was pretty prevalent at Starke Memorial. I noticed that you talked about Harold Welter's family members working at the school. Out of curiousity, I must ask...how many members of his family work there?? Isn't he technically their boss since he's on the school board? I realize he wouldn't most likely be their direct supervisor but sill...this doesn't make sense to me.

Anonymous said...

It's your blog. You can choose to print or not print our comments. But your credibility diminishes when you refuse to publish com-plaints about your friends and fellow Democrats....r.e. our for-mer mayor, former police chief and newly-elected sheriff.

I agree with you whole-heartedly concerning Harold Welter, but Harold is not the only problem we have in Starke County.

For years, both WKVI and the Leader have refused to step on the toes of those (advertisers) who pay their salaries. Advertising is a necessary evil to journalism.
It shouldn't be that journalism is the necessary evil to advertising.

You, knox indiana, are in a position to teach our local radio station and newspapers the proper way to report news. Don't blow it!

Enough of your selfish censorship!